Eight famous Königsberg gates of the XIXth century were built in the neo-Gothic “Tudor” style in 1843-1862, during modernization of the inner fortification ramparts. Some of them were built anew; some were only partially renewed.
Nonetheless modern Kaliningrad can show evidence of all the gates, although all that remains of the Ausfall Gates are foundations of a little Russian orthodox chapel on Gvardeisky Avenue.
Modernization of the inner fortification rampart began from the laying of the foundation of the King’s Gates in the presence of the king Friedrich Wilhelm IV on 30th of August, 1843. The Gates are decorated with the crowns of the Prussian kings and figures of the Bohemian king Ottokar, the Prussian king Friedrich I and the first Prussian duke Albrecht.
Friedrichsburg Gates were erected in 1848; there were four towers in them, each of which had a special name: Diamond, Pearl, Ruby and Emerald. The gates served as an entry into the Friedrichsburg citadel that was built here in 1657, for defense of the castle from Swedes, on the initiative of the Great Elector.
Brandenburg Gates were erected in about 1860. The name dates back to the mansion of the same name which is located within 16 km from them, where in the XIIIth century there was built a Teutonic castle. These are the only gates that have kept their use to date. They are decorated with the high reliefs of the generals Leopold von Boyen and Ernst Ludwig von Aster.
Rossgarten Gates on the Upper Pond in the former city district of Rosgarten (Horse Garden) were built in 1852-1855. These are the only gates where all the complex elements remain to the present day: the patio, the bridge, casemates and the entrance gates. On the façade you can see medallions with the images of generals Sharnhorst and Gneisenau.
Sackheim Gates were situated in the district of Sakheim (outer wood) in the street Litovsky Val (rampart) and were built in 1860. Nowadays in the restored gates there is a fashionable Art Gallery.
Railway Gates were constructed in about 1860. The railway to Pillau came through these gates. Today it is an inconspicuous place for passers-by who visit the Victory Park located not far from the former Labour Exchange.
Friedland Gates were the last of all the gates built in 1862. The construction of the renewed inner fortification rampart was completed with these gates. The outer side was decorated with a sculptured figure of Siegfried von Feuchtwangen, Grandmaster of the Teutonic Order аnd the inner side was decorated with a sculptured image of Friedrich von Zollern, Marshall of the Teutonic Order. Inside the gates there is a wonderful museum of the city of Königsberg.